Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter in Cabatuan

No, I'm not in Cabatuan right now but I've always reminisced about childhood days when I spent my Holy Weeks in my father's hometown. It was a part of the summer that I've always looked forward to. It was a time when the family on my father's side got together, reacquainting themselves and exchanging stories on a year past and updating each other on relatives who were not able to make it to the informal reunions. We heard Mass at the ancient church of Cabatuan whose patron saint is San Nicolas Tolentino. I remember my aunts, Nanay Pilar and Nanay Agrong, going to church very late Saturday night or early Easter morning for the vigil mass. The brought grain with them for these to be blessed. It assured us of an abundant harvest every year - El Nino notwithstanding. I was able to get a good photo of the church below: 

San Nicolas de Tolentino Church, Cabatuan, Iloilo

I will always go back to Cabatuan whenever I'm in Iloilo. No excuses now especially since the airport is already there. But I look forward to less busier days when I and the clairvoyant would visit during the Holy Week and reminisce good old times with beloved relatives.

No comments: