Saturday, November 13, 2010

Progress

I joined my college alma mater, the University of the Philippines, straight after completing graduate school back in 1995. I got an appointment as Assistant Professor in June that year based on my having a Master's degree and set out to teach both major and minor courses in Civil Engineering. I remember teaching Engineering Economy, Engineering Statistics and Transportation Engineering to undergraduate students during my first semester. I was also allowed to handle one graduate course during my first year and I remember this as one devoted to Traffic Flow Theory. Then as now, I was based at the National Center for Transportation Studies, where my Filipino and Japanese mentors also had their offices.

I filed for a study leave in 1996 to pursue a doctorate in Japan and got a first taste of life in Japan when I was recommended for a 35-day stint at Tokyo Institute of Technology with support from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), months before I was to begin studies at the Yokohama National University. Upon completing my studies, successfully defending my dissertation in June 1999, I returned to UP in late September 1999. I was immediately promoted a few steps but still as Assistant Professor. Months later, however, I was given tenure by the UP upon the recommendation of the Department of Civil Engineering and the College of Engineering. I was to be Assistant Professor until December 2005, steadily rising among the ranks one or two steps at a time until I got a shot at crossing ranks.

I was appointed Associate Professor in January 2006 months prior to my nomination for the Director of the National Center for Transportation Studies. In November 2006, I was appointed Director of the NCTS and set out to continue with both teaching and research often juggling time with my administrative responsibilities. I was reappointed in 2009 for another 3-year term.

It was fortunate for many of us in the University that the centennial paved the way for a new charter as well as a 3-year period of subsequent promotions. It helped greatly that the College at this time instituted a merit-based promotion system that allowed me to claim significant points that led to a rapid progression in steps as Associate Professor.

Last Wednesday, I finally received my appointment from the UP Board of Regents as full Professor, effective June 2010. It is a fulfillment of a dream that started back when I decided to join the academe. It is a blessing from a most gracious and loving God that I offer back to Him for His greater glory. It is a gift that I share with my loved ones especially my parents, siblings and cousins who have been instrumental in my decisions back in the day. It is an accomplishment that I share with the Clairvoyant who has been so supportive of what we jokingly mention as our contribution to service to this country. And it is something I share with my friends, teachers/mentors, and colleagues, especially those closest to me whom I have had the pleasure of working since the dream started.

No comments: