Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Farewell Berenika

As I was exchanging news with the Clairvoyant this afternoon, she surprised me with the late word she got about the passing of a friend. She met Berenika in one of the IP conferences she attended abroad. Berenika was an associate of their firm's branch in Poland and was also specializing in IP. She was a jolly person and the Clairvoyant quickly warmed up to her, exchanging stories about work, travel, cultures and other interests. Poland, after all, seemed to have a close affinity with our country including its beloved John Paul 2, who was also Archbishop of Krakow.

I remember Berenika visiting Manila a few years ago. The Clairvoyant toured her around Tagaytay and Manila, and discovered that she was the adventurous type. Joining them for dinner, I found her very likable and her stories very interesting. She enjoyed trying out food despite her being a vegetarian and she is probably the only one I knew personally who has been to Nepal and Machu Picchu as well as other exotic places on this earth.

Berenika hosted the Clairvoyant when the latter went on a tour of Eastern Europe almost 3 years ago. As a gift, the Clairvoyant brought her a replica santo that she saw at Tiendesitas that wanted to have but could not because of baggage limitations for her flight. In turn, she gifted us with items on Poland including what I consider to be the best book on the Polish uprising during World War 2.

She resigned from their firm a couple of years ago after not getting a promotion for partner and decided to put up her own practice. Yet she continued to keep in touch with the Clairvoyant; friendships, after all, go beyond being officemates. That was the last time I heard about her although I occasionally ask the Clairvoyant about her being among the unforgettable acquaintances I've had.

And then I learned only now about her passing in August of last year. I must admit I felt sadness despite my limited knowledge of her. She was by all accounts a kind person. She was raised a Catholic but elected to be agnostic. In fact, she suspected that she had a Jewish heritage and had a theory that her family became Catholic out of necessity - at a time when Jews were being persecuted in Europe. And yet she knew a lot about Poland's history including the struggles of her people and the Church during those difficult times when Eastern Europe was shrouded under the Iron Curtain.

Here's to you Berenika! A toast to the life you lived and the friendship you shared with us. May your kind soul rest in peace.

No comments: