Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Singapore Redux: Menya Musashi

I can never get over our time in Singapore. Even months after we moved back to Manila, I still think about our haunts and our adventures trying out different restaurants in the city state. And so when I stumbled into some photos from the Clairvoyant's iPhone, I just couldn't resist writing about another restaurant we will surely visit again when we're in Singapore.

Menya Musashi is a relatively new restaurant in Singapore (I think they only opened early this year.) but is actually a foreign foray for an established restaurant in Japan. One can Google its branches in Tokyo for the "original" thing. But for many who have not gone to Japan to savor its noodles in the many really good restaurants there offering their takes on ramen, udon and soba, Menya Musashi offers the real thing (i.e., authentic). I would like to think that Singaporeans and the so many expats/foreigners living in the city state have developed a sophisticated palate for the plethora of dishes available there. So it is not a surprise that a lot of people line up even before the restaurant opens, indicative of their appreciation of the quality of the food offered by the restaurant. It's a no-brainer - people won't be queuing and coming back for more if the food wasn't good.

Long line of customers even before the restaurant opens
The interiors make it seem like one is in Japan
Interesting column
Gyoza for appetizer
Among the best ramen we've had outside Japan

I think I can compare the taste to previous meals I've had when I was still in Japan though I've forgotten the names of those restaurants in Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka and Nagoya. I believe the secret is in the broth. The process by which chicken, pork or beef is cooked and simmered including the duration and spices used would dictate how the ramen will taste. Of course, the noodles should be "perfect" and cooks should watch out that the noodles do not absorb so much water (overcooked) that they feel soggy (and sorry) even with the great broth. Menya Musashi's ramen was just right and perfect for a rainy day.

Menya Musashi is located at the ground floor of the Raffles City mall along Bras Basah Road and across from the historic Raffles Hotel.
-

No comments: