Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Vintage Seiko 7017-6040 Speed Timer

The collection of Seiko chronographs include this flyback Speed Timer. I'm told it is among the more desirable watches and a favorite among collectors. I got this one from one of my suking sellers in Japan.

The watch has day and date features. The day wheel is in English and Kanji. There is an inner bezel that rotates with the crown in the default position.

Side view showing the crown and chronograph buttons. The chronograph works well but the quick set for the day is usually stuck. I'll probably have this looked into soon.

 

Case back showing the correct model number and the serial number. The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured in July 1971; making this a (almost) 50-year old watch.

The other side view again showing the watch in great condition. The cushion case is popular and a feature of many watches during the time.
Close-up of the dial

An even closer look reveals the dial number, which is consistent with this model.


Wrist shot the first time I wore the watch last December. I transferred an old leather strap to this watch which came without strap or bracelet.

Recent wrist shot while I was going on errands.
 

The watch is powered by a Cal. 7017 automatic movement that runs at 21,600 beats per hour with a potential power reserve of 43h. The caliber was made in the early 1970s and is found in other very sought-after watches from that period. I have another 7017 I have to write about soon.

-

No comments: