Thursday, February 29, 2024

Thoughts on a Leap Year 2024

Today is February 29. It is a Leap Year. A lot can happen over four years. In 2020, we were bracing ourselves for the COVID-19 pandemic. Now, it seems all have returned to the 'old normal'. February 2024 was very eventful for me. A beloved aunt passed away and until now, I cannot compose a decent article to celebrate her life. I think I have not had the proper grieving for her. I was not able to attend her funeral unlike the time when another beloved aunt passed away. Now Tatay has no other living sibling after the passing of Nay Paring. Tatay seems to be taking it well but I know he is sad inside and perhaps feels  about his mortality. 

Our dog Mocha had surgery a couple of weeks ago. This was to remove a tumor that was diagnosed as malignant. The dog is 10 years old. That's about 70 to 80 in dog years depending on your reference. She's better now but we also had a scare and know that she maybe has 2 or 3 years remaining considering her being a canine. Our daughter grew up with Mocha, who is such a loving animal. Dogs like her give unconditional love and we have lots of happy memories with her.

Most recently, our daughter was admitted to a hospital for the first time. Her confinement was due to a viral infection (not COVID-19) that led to her having very high fever. The experience gave us a scare as well as reminded us how difficult it is to get good medical care in the Philippines. I guess we are blessed to have the resources for our daughter to get the medical care she needed. There is hope but it is fleeting for many.

The other day (February 27) as I was exiting our home to go on an early evening walk, I saw a meteorite as it streaked across the clear sky. Another one was spotted, this time with my wife, seconds after. A third appeared as we walked. These are so rare that people make wishes when they see one. In our case, I guess we had three, each. I just don't remember making 3 wishes as their appearance were so unexpected but very pleasant considering the quick spectacle.

I will make another reflection like this in 2028. I wish the next 4 years will be blessed ones.

-

No comments: