Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Post elections

Last May 10, I did my part by casting my vote for the leadership of this beloved country of ours. I stuck to my list and voted according to assessments of candidates I made together with the Clairvoyant. I am still hesitant to post my choices here but I have exchanged quite a few notes with relatives and friends regarding whom I voted for at the national level. I think that it's enough that only they know of my preferences at this time.

Of the 12 senators already proclaimed winners by the Comelec, I count only 4 who got my vote. I was not surprised at all at this result as popularity and pedigree seems to have been the leading factors in the last elections and the results validated this. Revilla and Estrada topped the senate race followed by veterans Santiago, Drilon and Enrile. But pedigree alone probably is not enough considering that the likes of Ople, Roco, Pimentel, De Venecia and Tamano failed to get the nod of voters nationwide.

It wasn't really that hard for me to choose from among the long list of senatoriables though I had to confirm the accomplishments and advocacies of the lesser known candidates I voted for. Obviously, I didn't go for popularity though I tried to come up with a list of "winnables" if only to help assure that certain candidates get into the Magic 12. Among these "winnables" I voted for is Recto as I agreed with the assessment of progressives that without VAT, the country faced a fiscal crisis (And this maybe because either a lot of people didn't pay their taxes or the government failed to collect the right amounts.). It also helped that the Clairvoyant and I fondly call him Ninong and personally knew the guy and his governor wife.

Unlike the 2007 elections when the main battleground was represented by the senate seats up for grabs, these elections were more focused on the highest post in the land. A lot has been written about the backlash on the outgoing administration leading to the defeat of its candidates in 2007. This time around, it seems there was no backlash at all at the senate level. Rejection was evident from the outcomes of the Presidential and Vice Presidential races where one candidate's brilliance and potential to become a good leader just was not enough to shake off the heavy baggage of his association with the current administration. The last elections also showed that playing with the truth about one's early life also didn't help and showed that voters could indeed see through such attempts at packaging oneself as poor and one with the masa. Of course, the latter case should be tempered with the significant numbers who voted for a man convicted of plunder and later pardoned in what was seen by many as a form of "moro-moro."

Perhaps there is a bright future ahead of us and indeed there is so much promise for the new government. This despite the unresolved case for the VP that is still very much the talk of the town in as far as conspiracies and intrigues go. I am hopeful and I look forward to doing my part, realizing that our responsibilities are not limited to casting votes every 3 years but to what we actually contribute (in our own ways) in every day of our life.

No comments: