Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thoughts on exercising the right to suffrage

It's May and unlike other years this one is on an election year. We registered voters get to go out and exercise our right to suffrage. This time is also quite different as it will be the first time elections will be automated in our country. I'm probably among the many who are crossing their fingers, hopeful that the elections will go relatively smooth with only minor glitches despite the potential for a major disaster like the one predicted by critics (including of course those who are perpetually pessimists).

I am also hopeful that in these elections we would be able to choose better leaders for our country. But I am also wary of the hordes who are mostly unaware either by choice or by circumstance who would be voting unwisely or based on perceptions of promises of quick fixes being realized by candidates who would do anything to get elected. I say do anything because there are many out there who are conscious candidates and have long ago aspired (or had ambitions) to become president, senator, congressman, governor or mayor not because of a higher calling and objective but because of a more diabolical and personal goal. In fact, many of those who are running with or without pedigree may have dubious personalities including attitudes of entitlement. Such is often part of the foundation for the political bog we are now in. Deep shit is a word not for the exclusive use of septic tank contractors after all.

For the purpose of reflection, I have drafted a tentative list of candidate I will vote for at the national level. I still haven't quite finished a scan of local candidates though I have strong opinions for and against candidates in the district where the Clairvoyant will cast her vote. I am probably more familiar with candidates in her district because I work in the area. In a few days I make my final decision. Perhaps I could change two in my tentative list but as of now I think I've pretty much made up my mind.

No comments: