Thursday, June 3, 2010

Upgrading computers

I pleaded with the Clairvoyant to purchase a new notebook while she was in the US. It was a nice opportunity to upgrade knowing that the new processors were out and notebook prices in the US are generally significantly lower than prices here or in neighboring countries like Singapore, China and Japan, even after factoring academic discounts. The prices of computers in the Philippines are quite expensive and prohibitive to many who would prefer the standard notebooks from the netbooks that have enjoyed popularity due to their being less expensive than their "conventional" counterparts.

Previous to her US trip, I already did my homework canvassing computer prices in Singapore and Manila. I also consulted the online stores for notebooks that would be suitable for my work and preferences. We (it wasn't difficult to convince the Clairvoyant) finally decided to go for a Macbook. Given the favorable exchange rates and the low prices in the US, it wasn't difficult to also go for the Macbook Pro. And so it was that the Clairvoyant traveled and made the purchase that would usher in a new era of computers, at least in our small world.

So here I am now, copying my files to the Macbook Pro and enjoying each moment and each file copied to my folder in our new computer. That "enjoyment" is of course an exaggeration given that I generally don't enjoy migrating files from an old computer to a new one. It's tedious, time-consuming for one to transfer files while knowing that there are other more important things to accomplish. I did state "our" when referring to the new computer because it will be a shared asset, the Clairvoyant already declaring the Macbook reserved for her Saturday lectures at law school. In my case, I'll probably have custody of the notebook during the rest of the week and be able to wield its power in my own lectures as well as presentations in conferences and seminars.

2 comments:

Clara and the Clairvoyant Canine said...

Thank you for the public acknowledgement re: shared asset. I further qualify that it is conjugal property. :-) - the Clairvoyant

Doctrine said...

Noted. =)