Friday, January 28, 2011

Waking-up

I've had no trouble waking up early. I am a morning person and have been trained to wake up early since childhood. The only problem with this is that no matter how early or how late I get to bed, I almost always wake up early, usually around 5 AM. So in cases when I'd rather stay in bed, I just sleep again. And the bad thing about sleeping again is I end up waking up later than I when I want to. So I end up just lying in bed, eyes closed and waiting until I am ready to get up.

The only time I remember this routine being broken was during a trip to the US when, because of the time zones, my biological clock was interrupted and I took maybe 2 days to get back to my rhythm. Stints in Japan did not have any significant effects since there was only a 1 hour difference between PST and JST. Eventually, I would revert to waking up at 5AM but in JST, which meant I was waking up at 4AM in Philippine time.

I would still choose to wake up the same time everyday if I had a choice. It allows me to jump-start the day and as the saying goes, "catch the early worm." Reference to the worm notwithstanding, being early and keeping to the time has always been a characteristic of mine so much so that among my pet peeves are tardiness and meetings that don't start on time. I always feel equate these as wasted time and resources. So when people ask me about how I can do this and that and deliver or submit early or by the due date, I just smile and shrug it off. The way I manage my time is rooted on how I was trained, from childhood, to wake up early and maybe get ahead, literally, while others are still sleeping. And I thank my mother for this!

No comments: