Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sem-end, Part 2: Last subjects enrolled

My last semester in my baccalaureate course was the Second Semester of the Academic Year 1992-1993. I remember I was enrolled in 19 units with the following subjects under the corresponding instructors:

CE 124: Engr. Jesus Matias
CE 143: Dr. Shigeru Morichi
CE 152: Prof. Alfredo B. Juinio, Jr.
CE 180: Prof. Fernando J. Germar
CE 198: Prof. Alfredo B. Juinio, Jr.
GE 198: Dr. Ian McCloy
STS: Prof. Agerico de Villa

I also took my last Physical Education (PE) class that sem, when my Form 5A was stamped "graduating." This allowed me to be prioritized in enlisting for a PE 2 class of my preference. I took Tennis and scheduled it in the morning so I could play twice a week prior to my lecture classes.

I remember that my last exam was the final exams given by Prof. Juinio in CE 152. It was a tough one and I remember us being given 5 problems. I only needed to pass the exam to pass the course so I had to make sure I got at least 3 problems right to have a pretty good chance to pass the subject. I was quite happy when I was able to solve those three problems and was confident enough that my solutions were correct so I could relax with the other 2 problems. Despite this, it still took me quite some time to complete my solutions. Many of my classmates also labored through the exam and were clearly not finished with their solutions when Prof. Juinio appeared at the door and announced that our time's up. At the time, he also jokingly threatened that he would be turning the room's light off in 5 minutes. That triggered a frenzy of calculating and writing for what was for many a last chance to put in whatever might merit a few points for unfinished solutions. We did pass our papers on time, with "we" referring to our barkada (Karl and Noriel among them). The others including some orgmates of mine had to suffer through Prof. Juinio playing with the light switch to remind everyone to pass their papers.

It was quite a relief for us to get through that last exam. I guess it is the same feeling our students feel or would feel after hurdling their last tough exam. Actually, some had to re-take the exam later as they were caught cheating (Prof. Juinio had the knack for this as he knows from the solutions who copied from whom.). Prof. Juinio was kind enough to give them a last chance so they could prove themselves and be able to graduate after that semester.

No comments: