Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bawal ang pasaway

It took me some time since the last when I wrote about my experiences of being interviewed for media. I believe I've had many enjoyable interviews including guesting on recorded or live shows. The former included the now defunct "Hot Seat" hosted by Jessica Soho on what was QTV Channel 11. Jessica was the best interview I had and she was really very good in making people comfortable and asking the right questions. Parang nagkukuwentuhan lang kayo but she was able to draw out the answers to even tough or sensitive questions like the ones she asked the other guests. I think I was a guest of the show to talk about road traffic safety and probably was asked questions pertaining to how dangerous our roads were. Well they are still quite dangerous now and despite the combined efforts of many people, agencies and entities, there's still so much to do to improve the situation.

That topic on road traffic safety brings me to my latest guesting and this one perhaps is among the most enjoyable considering that I have so much respect and am actually a fan of the host Professor Emeritus Winnie Monsod. This evening's episode of "Bawal ang Pasaway kay Mareng Winnie" on NewsTV 11 featured pedestrian safety in particular and road traffic safety in general in Metropolitan Manila. I had the pleasure of meeting my fellow guests prior to the taping of the show 2 weeks ago. One guest was a Mr. Gutierrez, who headed the special unit of the MMDA for Commonwealth Avenue, and whom I learned was a trainee of our center from way back. Another guest was Dr. Raffy Consunji of SafeKids Philippines and a faculty member of the UP-PGH. There was also Dr. Aurora Corpuz-Mendoza, the chair of the UP Diliman's Department of Psychology. Finally, there was Atty. Emerson Carlos, the MMDA Assistant General Manager for Operations and head of its Transport and Traffic Management Office. I was in a couple of segments with Prof. Monsod and Atty. Carlos and the format was more like a discussion with Prof. Monsod facilitating and asking questions about the state of road safety in Metro Manila. I especially liked the part where we talked about statistics and the economics of traffic safety. She obviously knew her stuff and her staff did their homework on the facts. Her conclusions toward the end of the show provides a clear picture of the costs of road crashes in Metro Manila and articulates what must be done considering the losses incurred. Hopefully, her message is received well, her points understood, and decision makers heed her call for action to address our dangerous roads.

Photo below with Prof. Emeritus Winnie Monsod (UPSE) after the tapings:


Photo below was taken after the segments discussing state of traffic safety along Metro Manila roads. From left: Attty. Carlos of the MMDA, Prof. Monsod, and me.


No comments: