Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sem-end, Part 6: Graduation Speakers

When we graduated in 1993, our graduation speaker for the University Commencement Exercise was then President Fidel V. Ramos. He was elected President of the Republic of the Philippines in the previous year, winning a plurality after securing the endorsement of Pres. Corazon C. Aquino in what was then a surprise considering that FVR ran under his fledgling Lakas party and Cory belonged to the ruling Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino (LDP), which fielded then Speaker of the House of Representatives Ramon Mitra.

I remember the 1992 presidential elections very well as it was the first time I voted. I believe it captured the imagination of a generation born and raised during the martial law period and much of the debates were on issues pertaining to new politics considering that EDSA and the atrocities of martial law were still fresh in the minds of the people. There were also references to trapo (traditional politicians). I shall talk about these elections in another blog as there are many things about it that I remember and believe should be written down if only to present my views on that part of our history.

Meanwhile, I don't really remember the guest speaker during the recognition rites of the College of Engineering at the time though I suspect it was then Energy Secretary Francisco L. Viray, who was freshly recruited to solve the energy crisis (read: regular blackouts). He was succeeded at the time at the college by the future water czar and eventual President of Mapua Dr. Reynaldo B. Vea.

No comments: