Sunday, May 1, 2011

Labor

I am no stranger to hard work considering I am a civil servant, having worked for the government since 1995. It is always said though that working for a state university is quite different from working in other government office such as say a local government unit or a national agency. I am inclined to agree considering my experiences as a faculty member at the University of the Philippines and in interacting with other people working for various office of government. Perhaps it is this different environment, a nurturing yet inquisitive and challenging environment, that makes us a rare breed and a valuable commodity for administrations that allow us and our graduates to be elected or appointed to sensitive positions in government and the private sector. But that, of course, can be considered arrogant and aloof in many ways by others who do not understand how it is to be part of the faculty of the country's premiere university.

I am, however, not going to talk about that kind of labor in this post. I will talk about work that we typically call chores when we and the members of our family do it, and work or labor when it is done by our help. The way we call it is very typical of the way we call illnesses (asthmatic vs. hikain, warts vs. kulugo, Down's vs. mongoloid, etc.) that they sound so different and so pedestrian when used for those who appear to be of lower social class compared to the term used for those who can afford the "finer things in life."

I am no stranger to household work. This, even though we have had help at our home when I was growing up and even today as my parents are already senior citizens. I attribute this to our helping out at the house despite having help. My parents are firm believers of hard work and have taught us how to do the basic chores of cleaning the house, washing the dishes, tending to the plants, doing the laundry, and ironing clothes. I can even do a little cooking, thanks to a mother who was taught me at least to cook my favorite dishes. My way, however, has not replicated hers and I still long for the distinctive taste of her cooking.

I was able to practice doing a lot of these chores when I stayed in Japan. I can proudly say that in my 3-year stint while working on my doctorate degree, I was also able to hone my skills in ironing and cleaning. Let it not be said that I went to the university with unpressed clothes nor will any visitor attest to not seeing my home away from home clean and orderly. I take pride in this as I do so today. Of course, these days I have better tools than what we had before though I did have my own vacuum cleaner when I was in Japan and I did use my personal steam iron while there. I was just thankful that we had washers and dryers at the dormitory and the "mansion" back in Yokohama. I was prepared to do handwashing but it took much time and effort and I was abroad mainly to study rather than do housework.

I salute those who do decent, honest work on this Labor Day. A lot of people don't even the simplest menial work because perhaps they have not done anything like it. We tend to dismiss housework as chores and some even detest it as if it is something that is not worthy of our time. Is it perhaps due to our having help and our parents not allowing us to lift a finger to even put order in our rooms or closets? Is it because we were spoiled and had snooty parents and relatives? It is sad if we were like that and think so about our help and about other workers and laborers in different lines of work. We might be professionals or white collar workers, or perhaps homemakers with staffs to work at our pleasure. But we should learn to appreciate and to value hard work that is put in by others, sparing us of doing so in the process and freeing us to do what we like to do.

No comments: