Monday, May 9, 2011

Stormwatch in early May

I didn't get to sleep much last night. It wasn't really because the Clairvoyant happened to be in Singapore nor was it due to our two dogs insisting to give me company. It was mainly out of being so aware and so conscious about the heavy rains that started pouring shortly after the conclusion of the television broadcast of Manny Pacquiao's boxing match against an overwhelmed Shane Mosley. I guess it is already part of me that I go into something like a vigil mode when I sense something extreme about the weather. I have experienced too many typhoons and had waded into too many floods in my lifetime that I know just how strong certain rains are based on sound alone.

It was quite alarming for me already when, during the drive from Novaliches to Cainta, the rains started pouring and there was practically zero visibility for the entire stretch of Commonwealth Avenue. I estimated that I encountered 5 flooded sections of that highway and had to be thankful of the buses who literally parted waters so that lighter vehicles could move forward in their wakes. Entering the UP campus was a blessing since the drainage system is usually excellent and flash floods are rare because of the elevation. Katipunan, however, offered 2 flooded sections but these were easily traversed as one only had to keep to the lanes closest to the median where the water was negligible. I was in for a surprise though when after traveling along Marcos Highway quite unhindered, I encountered a flood just before reaching Dela Paz in front of a small hospital where both the DPWH and Manila Water were conducting works intended for drainage and water supply, respectively. It was deep enough and many of us motorists braved the waters, one after the other, and mindful of the water lapping the underside of our vehicles and likely to enter our tailpipes. From thereon, I only had to deal with one more flash flood along Imelda Avenue right after Vista Verde and in front of a Phoenix gas station. That's a total of 9 floods I had to go through yesterday, and silently I prayed that my vehicle won't stall and that the rains would cease.

I didn't expect the rains to be that strong and I must admit that I let my guard off a little as I dismissed a tropical depression as not at all alarming at this time of year. After all, it is still early May and only last week we had experienced scorching weather with temperatures reaching highs of 35 and 36 degrees Celsius in Metro Manila. It was supposed to be the dry season and summer in most parts of the country. This, however, seems to be a false assumption now that we got drenched yesterday and are expected to be drenched again today. Our climate now seems so delicate and or weather systems seem to become more unpredictable.

With state of the art equipment claimed to have been acquired by the DOST-PAGASA much was and is expected for the local weather agency to at least provide guided estimates of rainfall. A simple comparison will suffice in making people aware of how much rain is expected. Our knowledge for example that Typhoon Ketsana/Ondoy poured something like 58mm per hour of rain makes for an excellent benchmark for what people can easily visualize as what could happen if given a figure to compare with such reference. It is simple, straightforward science that if applied properly would save us some sleepless nights.

No comments: