Friday, January 6, 2012

The accidental image

I just have to share this photo I was able to take while crossing the bridge along Dewey Avenue from Olongapo to Subic as the sun began to set. We were returning from inspecting the Olongapo's Driftwood pier and our hosts took us to the lighthouse at the mouth of the river when I looked out from the window of our vehicle and made the gut decision to take a photograph of a dredger! Just when I thought I had a clear photo of the vessel, the picture below came up when I reviewed the photo on the camera screen.

I took a chance by snapping this photo as we crossed the bridge from Olongapo City to the Subic Freeport.

I like how the light affected the images in the photo. Visible at the center is a dredger at the mouth of the river, which is heavily silted. At right one can see the lighthouse partially hidden among the foliage in what could look like an island during high tide. Note the low part of the land where a bridge was built for access to the lighthouse. At left, there are two forms that look like animals. These are actually gantry cranes of the Subic container terminal from across the bay. I suddenly remembered that such cranes were the inspiration for the imperial walkers in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. I also like the way the land and the dredger are reflected on the water with the small ripples giving that blurry effect on the reflections. The funny thing was that I didn't intend for this photo to happen.
-

No comments: