Monday, April 16, 2018

Cortébert manual wind vintage watch

Cortébert was considered a luxury brand during its heydays. Unfortunately, the brand suffered much during the onslaught of quartz watches (mainly from Japan) in the 1970s. It was not among the brands that survived but surprisingly was not resurrected later like other Swiss brands that are now actually masquerading as such.

The watch face is elegant with the sub-second adding appeal to this piece.
Side view showing the crown
Another side view
The case back
Closer inspection shows the engraved letters are in Cyrillic or Russian
I am usually wary about something etched or engraved on vintage watches I am interested in. For example, old Seiko watches from Japan might have inscribed on their backs the name of the person who originally owned it including perhaps an indication it was given as a gift (birthday? wedding? retirement?) or recognition for service. I generally avoid those watches. I was not able to see the writing on the case back on this one but based on what I've seen, these are translations of what is originally inscribed at the back and so are not names or other undesirable (for me) information.

I've timed this watch and the first time it lasted about 39 hours on a full wind. The second time it ran for 48.75 hours. It kept good time compared to my computer's clock and my other more dependable watches with no significant losses or gains in time over the period I was comparing it with other clocks/watches.
-

No comments: