Thursday, January 24, 2019

Pallas Eppo manual wind vintage watch

I had wanted to have one of those charter watches that a fundraiser for the University of the Philippines came up with. For some reason, I just couldn't get to convince myself of purchasing one. It wasn't the aesthetics as I appreciate the design of the dial, which was the modification made to the watch. It wasn't the watch itself as there was a choice between a Seiko SKX007 or SKX013, with the latter being the smaller of the two.

Anyhow, my frustration was relieved when I acquired this vintage watch from Germany. Pallas is an obscure brand to me and required some research to get some information about the watch. Here's what I found about the watch brand:

"Otto Epple (Epple, Otto) = Eppo, watch manufacturer, Pforzheim, Germany...Eppo was also a brand name of a cooperation company named Pallas (also Pforzheim), in which Eppo, Pforzheim, was involved..."

The red dial is an attention grabber and you just got to love the sub-dial on this diver

I replaced the strap with this nato, which I thought was appropriate for the watch.
Case back indicating this to be of stainless steel and anti-magnetic, and nothing more. Watches like these would usually
Here's a photo of the movement, which I was able to identify as a FE 233-66 that runs at 18,000 bph with a power reserve of 50h on a full wind.
Here's the watch with the original strap it had on when I got it

I observed the watch several times recently and it delivered an average of a bit above 50 hours on a full wind. It keeps very good time; only gaining a few seconds over 24 hours. I also recently fitted it with a leather strap from Hirsch.
-
Note: I let go of this watch early this year. That was also a quick transaction and unlike other buyers who were actually resellers, this became a beater watch that the seller often shows as a post to our FB page that I share with a couple of friends who are also collectors.
-

No comments: