Monday, January 20, 2020

Zamboanga Archdiocese Metropolitan Cathedral

Before I return to Zamboanga next week, I thought it would be nice to post something about the city. In this case, I thought I would be writing about going to church there. My colleagues wanted to go to the Shrine of Our Lady of the Pillar at Fort Pilar. A quick map query showed, however, that the cathedral was just a couple of blocks away from our hotel. And so I chose to go there instead and was able to catch the last Sunday Mass. Here's a few photos of the church interior.

Main altar
Stained glass windows at the right side of the cathedral
Stained glass windows at the left side of the cathedral

The Mass was in English so I didn't have any trouble understanding the homily. Other parts of the Mass I don't really need a translation since I know the words anyway. In fact, when I was living in Japan, I could go to the Mass celebrated in Japanese (Nihongo) and only struggled during the homily as I tried to get the essence of what the priest-presider was saying to the congregation.

I actually attended a Mass con-celebrated by the chaplains of the different branches of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP). As such, there were a lot of uniformed personnel in the cathedral. Outside, a combined force of marines and police stood guard and managed traffic. Zamboanga and the rest of Mindanao is still under martial law, and there are a lot of servicemen posted there who are from other parts of the country.
-

No comments: