Sunday, January 3, 2021

An Antique Waltham watch

I was reading on the definitions of 'antique' and 'vintage' and found that the term 'vintage' usually referred to an item from a certain generation or time. That means something can be of a recent vintage like say a few years ago or last year or even last month (if the term would be used so loosely as it is, for example, used for wines). Meanwhile, 'antique' would refer to something that is at least 100 years old. For watches, 'vintage' is usually taken as older than 20 years though some prefer to be in the "safer" >30 years. I have an art deco Doxa that was likely made in the late 1910's, making it more than 100 years old and therefore antique. Art deco watches though were also made in the 1920s so it is also likely that the watch is only in its 90s and not a century or more in age. And so when I came upon the opportunity to obtain a watch from the 1890s, I took it and acquired this Waltham. I knew the seller was trustworthy as I already got a couple of Seiko World Timers from him including one from my birth month and birth year.

The watch the first time I saw it after unboxing it at home. The watch features a second sun-dial, blued hands and engraved case.

I changed the black nato strap it came with and currently use this dark blue and red strap. I already commissioned a leather nato for this watch.

View showing the crown and other engravings on the case

The other side view

The case back has significant wear or corrosion. The photo also shows what looks like very old spring bars that I am apprehensive to replace.

The blued hands likely meant these went through a certain process for rustproofing. The bluing process creates a protective finish that helps to prevent the hands from rusting. Bluing is also called black oxidizing, which turns rust into a protective layer. This process is also used for other items of steel including firearms.

Close-up of the dial highlighting the blued hands

Side view showing the crown and the engravings on the steel case

Engravings on the other side of the watch

I haven't opened the watch to see and observe the movement. Here is a photo of the movement from the seller.

The movement and the inside of the case back

A clear photo of this antique time piece

Wrist shot one sunny day

I thought it was fitting for my first watch post to be about this 120+ year old Waltham. It somehow symbolizes durability and resilience over time. These are two things we need this 2021 as we hope for better things while we continue to struggle vs. COVID-19.

-

No comments: