Friday, January 20, 2023

On mask filtration - abaca face masks

Perhaps almost everyone is now used to wearing masks. The most common would be the surgical masks that are supposed to be one time (perhaps per day) use only. Then there are the KN94 masks that allow for more protection (filtration-wise) and are more comfortable to wear as it does not smother the face like many of the non medical masks manufactured and sold during the first months of the pandemic (e.g., cloth masks). During the pandemic, we discovered abaca face masks that were manufactured under the auspices of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST). I had not had the chance to open the mask and dissect it to see what it looks like including the layers it claimed to have.

Inside the mask are layers of fiber that made for effective filtration.

A close-up of the fiber layers inside the mask

The abaca mask before I cut it up and disposed of it - the color has faded after so many washings but I thought that it still gave good enough protection. I wore this when I drove or when taking walks in our village.

The masks offered a snug fit to the face without smothering you. These are also washable and so can be reused many times before they are finally disposed. We still have a few of these on stock at home and I still wear then whenever I am driving or doing some outdoor home activities.

-

No comments: