Thursday, May 23, 2024

Comfort food on a hot day (saved by heavy rains in the evening)

It rained last Friday. It was strong and long enough to cool our area after another sizzling day. The rains are welcome as the past weeks saw the mercury rise to heat wave levels. I would normally go for some comfort food to conclude the work week. It just so happened that it rained while we were picking up our daughter from Kumon so we decided to just eat out for dinner at one of our favorite places.

Our go to place in Antipolo for Japanese food are not the branches of chain restos found in the nearby mall but this restaurant/izakaya near the provincial capitol - ABCT.

Zaru soba is probably my all-time favorite. I actually like it slightly more than ramen. But that's just me.

Cold soba is definitely a treat for me on a hot day. I also like the cold somen but somehow I could not find this in the menus of most Japanese restaurants here. It's only in Japan that I have enjoyed somen as it is supposed to be prepared and eaten. Another food I like and first enjoyed in Japan during the summer is unagi (eel) usually as unadon. They have this at ABCT and I order it sometimes (sometimes only because it is expensive) and they always get it right. Their chefs were trained in Japan and they are very particular about their dishes being authentic. I already look forward to the next visit to ABCT.

-

No comments: