Saturday, August 6, 2011

Everything Counts

Tears for Fears held a concert last year to the delight of many Filipinos particularly those of my generation who were in high school or college in the mid to late 1980's. It was about 25 years late but it didn't matter to fans who gobbled up the tickets to the gig at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City. In fact, when I had a chance to check for tickets the only ones remaining were the 10,000 PhP ones. I would've wanted to watch the concert with the Clairvoyant but just couldn't justify shelling out 20,000 PhP for a pair of tickets. My conscience would not allow me to splurge just like that. So now I'm just looking forward to the real possibility that Curt Smith and Roland Orzabal will be returning to Manila given the tremendous success of the concert. In fact, I learned that the organizers initially reserved only half of the venue but eventually had to add more seats as the demand for tickets was clearly underestimated. It seems that one thing they didn't consider was that a lot of those who probably would have coughed out good money if the concert were held in the 1980's are now mostly successful people who can afford the tickets, even the most expensive ones.

Another act that I would consider going to is Depeche Mode, shown in the YouTube video below in a live performance of "Everything Counts," a personal favorite aside from the mushy "Somebody" and, of course, "People are People." I have a few albums including compilations. But one album I bought in Japan was lost somehow a few years ago and it happened to be a rare one featuring live and extended performances of their greatest hits.



Of course, nothing will beat having U2 live in Manila. Surely this will be sold out in a matter of munites and one would have to compete with expats and tourists to get tickets. But I'm sure it will be something worth it, if only to catch a live performance by a band that is still in top flight and form.

These days, I try to catch my music on several stations during the week and currently, it is 99.5 RT Saturday evening program which provides the best mix of 80's music. I have even had the chance of listening to some new wave music I haven't heard of for so many years now including one that was plagiarized by a local band and passed of as an anthem in sports events. For shame! Anyhow, there is still 89.1's Laid back Wednesdays, 88.3's Slide and 89.9's Magic Madness on Fridays. Only, new wave is not the only thing they play as there are mostly Pop and Rock from 80's and the 90's much like what 97.1 played back when I was at university. I hope RT is able to sustain their Saturday program as it provides a nice backdrop while relaxing on a weekend or even while correcting examination papers.

No comments: