Saturday, August 6, 2011

UPCAT

Today is the first day of the University of the Philippines College Admission Test or UPCAT. This is the entrance examination for the University of the Philippines, the country's premier state university. There are 4 batches of examinees - one each for the morning and afternoon sessions of Saturday and Sunday. The exams are administered in testing centers throughout the country including those at the UP System's campuses in Baguio City, Diliman, Manila, Los Banos, Miag-ao, Tacloban, Cebu, and Mindanao as well as its satellites in Iloilo City, Clark and Olongapo. There are so many other testing centers spread out to accommodate the thousands of aspiring senior high school students vying for the limited slots in the various UP academic programs. In fact, there are courses which are classified as quota courses that have restrictions in the number of students who may qualify for these programs. These quota courses included those in Engineering, the Sciences, Business and Economics, and Education.

I remember my taking the UPCAT in August 1987. I was part of the first batch for that year's exams, taking the test on a Saturday morning. I remember my father taking me to UP and he has always told me that he felt proud even then that his son was taking the entrance exams at UP. He always mentions that he didn't have that option when he was a senior in Cabatuan Comprehensive High School back in 1954 and preferred that I go to UP should I pass the exam. This came from a man who has degrees in Chemical Engineering and Chemistry from the National University and Mapua Institute of Technology. The latter being among the most notable engineering schools during their time and until now.

My designated examination room was located at the UP Integrated School (UPIS) that is just across Katipunan from the main campus of Diliman. In those days, Katipunan was just a 2 lane road not like the 6 lane highway that it is today. The median island where the huge trees remain are the remnants of where the old fence of UPIS used to be. I don't really remember my exact feelings prior to, during and after the examination. However, I believe I was confident enough to have overcome whatever kaba I had and I'm sure I was relieved upon completing the exam. I remember I was able to answer all the questions and with time to spare for each part of the exam. As such, I was even able to review some of my answers and was even able to correct a few afterwards.

Prior to the exam day, my barkada and I went to UP to look for our exam rooms. I think my closest friends all took their exams in one of the main buildings in the main campus while only I was at UPIS. I do remember my first day to see the campus and it was overwhelming to see such magnificent grounds, which looked and felt so expansive compared to the Lourdes Mandaluyong campus in Ortigas. I was impressed by the environment as I got my first look at the Academic Oval. And my first good look at Melchor Hall was when I went there to meet-up with a buddy there after walking from UPIS to Melchor. At the time, I didn't think I would eventually be studying at Melchor, home to the College of Engineering, of which I remain as a current member of the faculty. I think that was the time UP got me smitten and I have since remained in love with and loyal to the university.

No comments: