Friday, December 21, 2012

Homecoming: St. Francis of Assisi Parish

It was not really a formal homecoming but I consider coming to Lourdes Mandaluyong and St. Francis Church homecomings. This is because the school and the church was and is a significant part of my life, particularly for most of the 11 years when I was studying there. These were formative years and helped shape what I am today. Hearing Mass at St. Francis one Sunday, I took a few photos around and in the church for posterity. After all, it is at St. Francis that I was baptized, had my First Communion, and graduated from Grade School and High School. Kulang na lang pala dito ako ikinasal! Nevertheless, the Priest who celebrated our Wedding Mass was the LSM Rector during my GS and HS (he's Rector again now).

Driveway from the church - the steel railing and the steel fences were not there when I was attending school.

The church's cross used to be the tallest structure in the area. Now, there are so many high-rise buildings in the area including these residential condominiums just across the street from the church.

Tiled floor - I remember the floor in our time was plain polished concrete and I seem to have a HS class photo in this same area. The air-conditioning is for the confessional box and wasn't there before.

Corridor along the side of the church - at the end is a staircase that leads to the parking lot and parish office. There wasn't a roof at the right back in the day so this was practically a balcony looking across the parking lot and Shaw Boulevard.

Main altar - I was a bit surprised when I heard Mass at St. Francis a few years ago and found the significant changes in the altar. This was a very simple altar before with none of the gold and other glitter. I guess I'm old-fashioned in the sense that I prefer the simple altar back in the day. I even remember that people didn't line up for Communion but instead filed along the wooden railing (this is also gone) around the first step of the altar and knelt to receive Holy Communion. This was similar to the old practice at UP Diliman's Parish of the Holy Sacrifice.

Pews and stained glass - I remember being amused by the stained glass of the church when I was a toddler. Those were simpler times and our family heard Mass here every Sunday even when we were already living in Cainta. At left are small altars including one dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. Back in the day, it was only this small altar that I remember Tatay visited every Wednesday instead of going to Baclaran. At right is the confessional box.

St. Pio Chapel - this area has been renovated as it used to be just an open area with pews facing the main altar. The door leads to another corridor and a balcony facing the HS grounds. There is also a staircase that leads to the school grounds with an entrance beside the school canteen. Noticeable in the photo are ceiling fans that were a later addition to the church. The interior used to be quite breezy as the area surround the church and the school used to be vacant. Nowadays, it's not so because of the high-rise buildings in the area.

-

No comments: