Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Some thoughts on an Ash Wednesday

It's Ash Wednesday, the first day of the season of Lent for Roman Catholics that will culminate 40 days later during Holy Week. There has been a lot going on the last few days locally and in the world. On the local scene, the campaign period for the upcoming midterm elections in May started yesterday. Much have been written, said and reported about candidates for the Philippine Senate. I have learned to be diligent and discriminating with these people, twelve of whom I am supposed to write on the ballot come election day. So far, I think I already have six whom I would likely vote for. I am not yet sure about the others. That means I need to do more research. Given the nature of political parties in the Philippines, I don't necessarily look at party lines or coalitions. To me, these are but arrangements for convenience. I am also supposed to vote for a congressman, and gubernatorial and municipal posts this coming May. That's a lot of names if you ask me and it isn't easy to choose among people who won't probably give a damn about his or her constituents after the elections. Will they really work for the public good or would they be working for their own personal agendas? 

I am also supposed to vote for a party list. These entities are supposed to represent the marginalized, those who are not adequately represented in congress. And yet I still see a lot of party lists who are being led by the same elite and some ambitious people who would otherwise not be able to compete with the more familiar names in Philippine politics. I am glad that the Comelec was able to weed out a lot of party lists who all claimed to be representing one or another cause or advocacy. But there are still many remaining on the ballot whose intentions and (real) supporters are suspect and would surely only be a waste of public money if elected for the next congress.

Generating a lot of buzz these last two days has been the announcement by Pope Benedict XVI's that he is resigning effective by end of this month. I have already read several articles on his resignation including those that articulate hopefulness for a change in the Roman Catholic Church with a new Pontiff in the Vatican. Many reports now speculate on who will succeed Benedict XVI and the same list several names as strong and wildcard (or dark horse) candidates, including the current Archbishop of Manila whom many regard as too young. While I am no expert in the politics within the Church, I would assume that upon the announcement of resignation, a lot of communications (including those in private or in whispers) have probably been exchanged especially among those who are perceived to wield influence (or power) within the Church hierarchy. I like it that "conscience" was explicitly mentioned by the Pope in his statement. These days we really need to consult within us, to try to search for what is right based on our convictions. Soul-searching seems to be a thing of the past and an activity reserved for the desperate or the depressed in this age of high tech and living in the fast lane. We should learn to take pause, maybe slow down and find out if we are proceeding as we should be and with guidance from Our Creator.
-

No comments: