Sunday, July 7, 2019

GED, an interesting vintage watch from Germany

A recent addition to my collection of German vintage watches is a watch issued by the GED. GED stood for Gewerkschaft Eisenbahner Deutschland (Union of Railroad workers in Germany) so this might have been some sort of standard issue for their members or officers or a retirement watch.

The dial is simple with raised hour markers and no date or day features
Side view showing the crown and the relatively pristine condition of the watch
The other side view
Case back
Here's the obligatory wrist shot
Wrist shot of the watch after I unboxed it and tried it on the first time. The watch came with stretchable, flexible stainless steel band, which was obviously not its original and for me looked a little weird.
Here's a wrist shot the first time I used it after changing the strap.

I have compared the watch against my more dependable and accurate watches (e.g., my Bulova moonwatch and my computer clock) and it does not lose or gain significant time over 24 hours. I have timed it to last 41 hours on a full wind. That's not bad for a watch that, based on the looks of it, was probably issued in the 1970s (1978 according to the previous owner).
-

No comments: