Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Vintage Ricoh automatic watch

I had been looking for a nice Ricoh for a while and couldn't seem to get one. I got a couple a while back but both weren't ones I fancied once I got them and got a closer, first hand look at the watches. I eventually gave them away to friends who also collected watches and liked the designs. I got this one a couple of months ago and had it serviced when I noticed that the crown seemed stuck and hard to make adjustments on the time and date. Ricoh, of course, is a discontinued brand. And it can be a risky watch to collect considering the availability of parts in case the watch needs servicing.

The dial has both day and date features. The day display is in the style of the "President" watches made popular by Rolex and imitated by many brands including Ricoh.
Side view showing the crown and the quickset button for the day feature at 12 o'clock
The other side view giving emphasis on the case design, which is similar to the helmet models of other watches including Seiko and Citizen.
Case back showing the watch to be water resistant and shockproof. It also claims to have an unbreakable mainspring. The reference number indicates this to be a Cal. 61 movement.
Signed crown and the quickset button for the date. The day feature may be adjusted using the crown.
Close up of the dial showing the very good condition of the lumes on the watch hands
A photo of the movement when I got the watch back from my trusted watch repair man. The Cal. 61 movement runs at 18,000 A/h and dates the watch to 1970.
 
The watch keeps time and has a decent power reserve based on the times I have used the watch. It doesn't stop and runs well overnight.

-

[Unloaded this watch with another Ricoh 11/3/2023]

No comments: