Sunday, August 25, 2019

Seiko Laurel vintage watch

A nice addition to my collection was this Seiko Laurel. These are not so rare but aren't so common either; especially in the condition I got it. I have to wonder if the seller had a good idea of what it's worth (or if he bothered to research on its value). Some internet research shows this to be one of those collectibles the value of which can fluctuate but definitely a desirable piece for "Seikoholics".

This watch has a simple dial with no day or date features. The dial design along with the movement suggests this was made from the mid 1950s to the mid 1960s.
Side view showing the crown
The other side view
Case back
The watch on my wrist after I changed the strap into something I thought more appropriate for this vintage piece.
The watch movement - I have yet to get specifics of this movement aside from it running at 18,000 beats per hour and having 17 jewels. Unlike the more recent vintages of Seiko, the movement number is not etched on the mechanism.

My collection of Seikos have been changing for a while now. I have since disposed of my Seiko Crown and gave a Seiko Actus to a close friend (it was his BMBY). This is something for keeps for now along with another recent vintage Seiko Cronos that I also happened to acquire.

No comments: