Saturday, March 13, 2021

Vintage Seiko 7017-6020 Speed Timer

I have another Speed Timer that's quite beat up. I acquired it in this condition but with the movement (the heart of the watch) still in great condition. This model has both day and date features with the day wheel in English and Kanji. I don't really mind if the watch looks beat up but it has to be beat-up or weathered in a certain way. Water damage for a dress watch, for example, isn't okay with me but tropicalized dials or some corrosion might be acceptable.

This is a rare and very collectible Speed Timer model.

Side view showing the chronograph buttons and the crown

The other side view also showing the overall condition of the watch case, dial and bezel.

Case back showing the model number and serial number. The serial indicates this watch to have been manufactured in June 1970. The 'waterproof' on the back confirms the age of the watch as after 1970, watches bore 'water resistant'.

Close up of the dial showing the worn our inner bezel that rotates via the crown. The close up also shows the weathered condition of the lumes on the hands and hour markers.

First time on my wrist after I changed the strap

The watch is powered by a Cal. 7017 movement that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 43h. I haven't gotten to trying to observe the power reserve. But like my other automatic watches that are in good condition, if I wore this during the day, it usually runs overnight and ready to wear in the morning.

Here's a more recent wrist shot. I replaced the strap with a generic stainless steel bracelet. I tried to find a nice Seiko bracelet but couldn't find one for this. Most shops sell bracelets for divers that have larger lug widths.

The watch seems more comfy to wear with a steel bracelet. The fit and feel is better in my opinion.

-

No comments: