Monday, March 1, 2021

Vintage Universal Geneve with Cal. 1-69 Movement

An interesting watch in my collection is this automatic dress watch from Universal Geneve. I used to have a UG that I eventually unloaded and it took some time before I acquired another one that I liked. I refer to this watch as a "Pole Router hiding in plain sight." This is because the watch is powered by a Cal. 1-69 movement that was used by UG in their much sought after Pole Router models.

The black dial with baton hands and a date feature

Side view showing the signed crown

Case back with nothing on it; not even a serial number

The other side view showing a case that's in very good condition

Inside the case back cover is the brand seal or emblem

Caliber 1-69 movement runs at 18,000 A/h with a potential power reserve of 57h. Yes, that's 57h! Notice the micro rotor at the upper right? This caliber was made for Universal's pole router models.

Wrist shot the first time I wore the watch and after I replaced the simple leather strap with this stainless steel bracelet.

A more recent wrist shot while at my workstation

The Cal. 1-69 was manufactured between 1965-1970. This makes this watch at least 51 years old. So far, it's keeping "accurate enough" time and the power reserve held overnight. I'm not sure how to test it for the 57h reserve. Maybe continuous use or making it run via a winder will help approximate the reserve? 

-

No comments: