Sunday, April 18, 2021

Favre Leuba Triple Calendar watch

I have another watch that I have not decided on whether I am keeping or unloading it. This is a Favre Leuba triple calendar watch from the 1980s, which makes this model at least 32 years old. The brand probably doesn't ring a bell like the Rolex's, Omegas, and even Seikos and Citizens but it has a very long history, which you can read from its official site: https://favre-leuba.com/about-us/history

Reading on the brand and its collection of iconic watches, I was also surprised to learn that its vintage triple dates could fetch hefty prices. I got mine on a whim as the features caught my interest and it didn't hurt that no one seemed to be bidding on the item. And so I got it cheap.

The watch has a white linen-textured dial featuring 3 registers (month, day, hour of the day). There are 4 main hands aside from those in the sub-dials. One of these is the pointer date hand.

Side view showing the crown and two depressed buttons. The upper button is for the month setting and the lower button is for the date feature.

The other side view showing two more buttons. The one in the middle is for the day of the week and the one at 8 o'clock is for the hour of the day.

The watch is powered by an ETA 2892-2, which runs at 28,800 beats per hour (hi-beat) with a potential power reserve of 42 hours.

A close-up of the movement visible via transparent back.

Close-up of the dial

The watch came with its original buckle. The strap though is not its original one.

Another shot of the watch on the pad on my desk

The watch keeps time but has this single issue of the pointer date hand not functioning well. It somehow gets snagged and so cannot keep the right date, not that it bothers me. I have similar watches before (a couple of Oris watches I already unloaded) and now (a vintage Rodania triple date). I probably will hold on to this watch and have it checked as soon as I could given the current quarantine regulations. 

[Update: 6/7/2021 - Just got the watch back from my watch guy and the issue of the pointer date is now resolved. I haven't decided yet if this will be a keeper but I am more inclined to unload the watch soon.]

[Update: 11/13/2021 - I have unloaded the watch. Some features are stuck but a little TLC might do the trick for the new owner.]

-

No comments: