Thursday, May 13, 2021

A vintage Revue watch from the 1940s

I thought I had written about this watch, which I had acquired a few years ago. I had tried to sell it but it seems that few if any considered this watch that perhaps could qualify for the saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". :)

The dial is weathered (tropicalized is the term preferred by others), featuring baton hands and a second sub-dial.

Side view showing the crown and condition of the case

The other side view showing more scratches and what appears as a crack near 10 o'clock.

A polished case back showing what looks like a serial number

Close-up of the dial - 'Swiss Made' is still visible at the bottom

The watch is powered by a Revue Cal. 59 movement, which dates it to around 1945. This runs at 18,000 A/h with a potential power reserve of only 30 hours.

Recent wrist shot


The watch runs well and keeps time. I timed it to 30.5 hours on average. That's practically the 30h reserve its supposed to have had when it was made back in th 1940s. My friends and I always joked about where these vintage watches came from. Were they sold by people who were also into collecting watches? Or perhaps selling antiques or vintage items? Were these from the property of dead people that their heirs or executors sold? I got this watch from a seller in Serbia. No one seemed to want it so I got it for a really bargain price along with another more pricey Cortebert. I think I will keep this one for now.

-

No comments: