Tuesday, May 4, 2021

The Antipolo wet market during ECQ

I took the following photos show the Antipolo wet market around 5:45 to 6:15 AM. That's usually the time I am there to buy fish, vegetables and fruits. I like to be early at the market so as to avoid the crowds particularly if I go there on weekends.

Lots of food and other merchandise but few people - I am not sure how many people usually go to the market on weekdays and while we are still on some version of the quarantine but the photo shows more shopkeepers and vendors than customers. And this is between 5:45 and 6:15 AM.

My favorite dried and smoked fish vendor has nice stocks of the usual danggit, dulong, squid, tuyo and tinapa. The danggit, dulong and squid I buy are sourced from Cebu while the tuyo and tinapa are from Roxas, Capiz. There are also the same from La Union and Pangasinan but I find them salty.

The situation this morning was very much like what is shown in the first photo and there is a term for this - matumal. That means business is slow with fewer people coming to the market. Perhaps its because of the quarantine combined with today being a weekday? Perhaps people have also found ways to get meats, seafood, veggies and fruits without personally going to the market? The latter is particularly true for many families who've discovered online vendors selling fresh produce, meats and seafood. Many are also from the market but for veggies and fruits, you can already get them practically direct from the farmers. I will write about this and the initiatives of friends from whom we get our veggies and fruits.

-

No comments: