Sunday, May 2, 2021

Vintage Seiko 6138-7000 Slide rule

There are those watches that we consider as grail watches. The term 'grail' alludes to the concept of the Holy Grail, which can be elusive for various reasons (very rare-again for various reasons, very expensive, etc.) can be relative as it may refer to certain iconic such as the Rolex Submariner, Omega Moonwatch, LeCoultre Reverso, Cartier Santos, Enicar Sherpas, Seiko's first diver, and so on... For some people, a 'grail watch' might be their BMBY or birth month, birth year watch.

The Seiko slide rule is one of the most sought after vintage chronographs. It is supposed to have come out in 1972, my birth year. Here is a wrist shot the first time I wore my slide rule.

I seldom do unboxing photos. This was one of the times I thought a watch deserved it.

The packaging wasn't as secure as those for the watches I got from Japan. In fact, I suspect the package had been opened by customs in Manila. They probably were disappointed to find a Seiko, which probably meant it was just some cheap watch.

Out of the box is one of the most desirable chronographs Seiko ever made.

The watch features 2 registers or sub-dials, a day and date functions.

Side view showing the crown and chronograph buttons

The other side view showing the great condition of watch including the rotating calculator bezel. Unfortunately, this does not include the cursor that should be part of the crystal. There are aftermarket cursors fabricated for this model but I am looking for an old stock replacement if ever these were still available somewhere.

The watch came with an original Seiko bracelet though I am not sure this one actually came with the original watch.

Case back showing the correct model number. The serial number indicates the watch to have been manufactured in December 1974.

Close-up of the dial showing its overall good condition.

An even closer look to see the model number on the dial. Printed are Japan 6138 on one side of the lower sub-dial, and 7000T on the other side. This matches with the number on the case back.

The movement inside this watch is a Cal. 6138B that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 45h. It's the same caliber in the Seiko Bullheads, UFOs and Pandas.

Wrist shot for what I consider as one of my grail watches.

I will write about my list of grail watches in another article. So far, I think I've acquired most of what I regard as a collection worth inheriting. I like to think that what I consider to be grail watches are quite the desirable pieces from other people's (especially collectors) perspectives, too.

-

No comments: