Sunday, July 18, 2021

A vintage Cortebert Cal. 697 watch

I've had a few Cortebert watches including those that I have already parted with. Most if not all had something I didn't want on my vintage watches. These included replaced crowns and etchings on the case back bearing the names of previous owners. Other collectors don't seem to mind and acquired those watches. And so finally I was able to get one that suited my preferences. It didn't hurt that the watch also had a nice patina on the dial.

 

The watch features dauphin hour and minute hands and a combination of numeral and bullet hour markers. There are no day or date complications.

Side view showing the signed crown

The other side view

The case back with the Grand Prix emblem and what looks like a serial number at the bottom. No etches here!

The movement is a Cal. 697, which runs at 18,000 A/h with a potential reserve of 44h. The photo is from the seller in Serbia from whom I got a few watches before. I have not opened the watch myself so far.

A close-up of the dial showing the patina on the watch

A wrist shot after I changed the strap to a customized pair from Two One Four Straps

The potential reserve for the Cal. 697 movement was 44h but I was able to record 55.25h on a full wind! On average, the watch runs at 53 to 54 hours. That's spectacular for a very old watch. One of my previous Corteberts ran for an average of 52.5h so I guess these in-house movements are the state of the art of its time.

-

No comments: