Friday, July 9, 2021

On my favorite fruit - the atis

I usually write about fruits in season. These include mangoes, star apples (kaimito) and my favorite sweetsop (atis). Recently, our atis tree and those of our neighbors' have been flowering but producing only a few atis that go on to sizes suitable for picking and eating. And so when I chanced upon my suking fruit vendor one early morning opening a box of atis, I got a few kilograms for our own consumption. My daughter also enjoys eating atis and says she's now really good at separating the meat from the seeds.

Atis from a recent trip to the Antipolo market

What it looks like when you open the fruit. The seeds can be gathered and planted. Otherwise, they're thrown away.

I hope there will still be nice atis in the market this weekend. At times the ones remaining on sale are small and overripe already.

-

No comments: