Wednesday, August 11, 2021

On the supernatural - creatures of lower mythology in the Philippines

I have always been fascinated by the supernatural, more specifically the creatures of lower mythology that have been popular subjects or topics in Philippine folklore. These include the aswang, were creatures (weredog, werepig, etc.), ghouls, witches and others that have been the subject of news, TV shows, movies and magazine articles as well as formal researches and studies. I have books that I am fond of as alternate reading materials including the one pictured below authored by Maximo D. Ramos:

Cover of one of the books authored by Maximo D. Ramos

And so when I stumbled upon this article in the online magazine Medium, I became interested and read it with enthusiasm:

Weiland, J. [October 1, 2020] "The Philippine Can Make Even the Strongest Skeptic Shudder in Fear," Medium, https://medium.com/the-frightened-traveler/the-philippines-can-make-even-the-strongest-skeptic-shudder-in-fear-fb5bedfb9010

Sometime ago, my brother lent me a book that provided some sort of descriptions of the different types of aswang. The base material for the book (more a booklet actually) was the study by a Jesuit priest. There were really mainly descriptions with only a few example stories. I will write about this topic again including a compilation of stories that was sort of a favorite book during my younger days. I spotted and borrowed the book from the Municipal Library of Cabatuan, Iloilo (my father's hometown) whenever I was there on summer vacations. My aunts were school teachers and had an account at the library that allowed me to borrow books I could read while there.

-

No comments: