Thursday, December 16, 2021

A vintage Titus Nautoscaph diver watch

The vintage diver part of my collection includes several vintage divers. Among them, I think one of my favorites is easily this Titus automatic that was originally rated for 30 atm or 300 meters. That rating places it among other more expensive, more popular and perhaps more desirable and collectible watches. The latter include the Rolex Submariners, Omega Seamasters, Tag Heuer Aquaracers, and Seiko Marinemasters. Here are photos of my Titus Nautoscaph:

The watch features a black dial with a rotating external bezel and day complication. Hour markers are dagger or bullet shaped. The bezel markings are already faded but one can easily discern the numbers.

Side view showing the large crown. It is not signed but it is the original crown for this model.

The other side view also showing a vintage watch that is in very good condition

The watch back showing it to be originally rated for 30 atm (999 feet or 300m) depths. There is also a serial number at the bottom.

Inside this watch is an ETA Cal. 2472 running at 18,000 A/h with a potential power reserve of 42h.

Photo of the movement and the inner side of the case back

Here's another photo of the movement. The ETA Cal. 2472 dates this watch to the 1960s. The watch beats at 18,000 A/h with a potential reserve of 42h. It was made from 1956 to 1974.

Close-up of the dial

Wrist shot

The watch is quite reliable as it keeps time and basically has a decent power reserve (its still running overnight). You can wear it daily but since I have many requiring wrist time, I just made it part of my rotation. I'm not sure if Titus still makes these at present. What used to be a Swiss company is now owned by a company in Singapore that retained the brand Solvil et Titus. They do use Swiss ETA movements though to somehow keep the Swiss legacy of the brand.

I have already several vintage divers in my collection that includes a Glashutte and several Seikos. No, I don't have a 62Mas or an Apocalypse, and those remain elusive to me as I would prefer those to be in good condition but I know that they will be so expensive. There are many other collectibles that are more affordable so perhaps I will stick to those for now.


No comments: