Saturday, March 19, 2022

On neighborhood sari-sari stores

There was a short but lively exchange in our community Viber group about neighborhood stores. These are the sari-sari stores that you typically find around the country that have served as the local version of convenience stores. Even before there were 7/11's and Family Marts, there were already these neighborhood stores that sold a variety of items including bread, softdrinks, alcohol and even medicines like paracetamol and loperamide (common, over the counter meds for typical ailments like headaches, colds and fevers).

One of the sari-sari stores along our street that closed during the first lockdown and remains shut at present. There is no indication this will open again.

A small store on an informal settlement inside the village


A larger store that also serves quick hot meals like noodles (pancit canton) and porridge (arroz caldo).

If you wonder why I took photos of mostly closed stores, it's partly because I took these photos during my early morning walks. Another reason is that I didn't want people to be suspicious about my taking their photos. Some store owners can be upset as our village has been reminding them about health protocols. The latter was the main topic of the Viber exchange but discussions quickly revealed there were those who were against the existence and operations of sari-sari stores. My take is that these have a role to play and contribute to the vibrance of a community like ours. I grew up experiencing this first hand where we lived with my parents in Cainta as well as in my father's hometown in Iloilo.

-

No comments: