Sunday, May 29, 2022

First live Mass in more than 2 years

It was refreshing especially from the spiritual perspective to be able to finally go to church for Mass. It has been more than 2 years since the last time I was able to hear Mass in person. Sundays and special days like Christmas, New Year and Easter the last 2 years were virtual - initially with the Parish of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PIHM) in Antipolo and then later with Sacred Heart Cathedral (Yamate Catholic Church) in Yokohama. Attending church at Yamate, though virtual, is a mix of nostalgia and calm for me. After all, that church holds a special place in my heart.

We recently attended the moving up ceremony for our ward. The school organized it so there's a Mass prior to the ceremony. I was originally planning to just drop them off as I also didn't recall there was enough parking spaces at the church. There was, and so I ended up being able to attend the Mass and the ceremony last Thursday.

The Parish of San Pedro Calungsod along Sumulong Highway in Antipolo City

This poster located near the main door caught my attention. We had gone to visit this church prior to the pandemic but I don't remember a chapel or sanctuary being there at the time.

The church features a marvelous stained glass behind the altar

A closer look at the altar and stained glass

Just before the consecration, I decided to leave for the sanctuary at the basement of the church. It was more peaceful there and I could hear the Mass from there while also enjoying the solitude. In the photo is the vessel containing the relic of Padre Pio of Petrelcina.

The sanctuary is a peaceful place and I said my prayers there before I returned to the church for the conclusion of the Mass and the school ceremony that followed.

The location of the church also affords a spectacular view of the cityscape of Metro Manila. It is nice whether it's daytine or nighttime (you can see the city lights) but the best time to take photos, if you can, is when the sun is setting. I assume that's a popular time for weddings and the photos can be quite nice.

-

No comments: