Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tay Bauy

I just learned this morning from a nephew that the oldest living sibling of my father, Tay Bauy, passed away today. Braulio Regidor is the eldest brother of my father and they were separated for quite some time partly because my uncle decided to settle in Bukidnon in Mindanao. We learned later that he and his wife struggled as they raised a large family in Valencia. Living there entailed a lot of sacrifices, which eventually bore fruit as our cousins also worked hard to improve their lives with some becoming professionals and investing in businesses that prospered. Eventually, one cousin was able to establish a Resort in Maramag, Valencia City

I know from photos posted by my nephew that my cousins and their families are living comfortably in Bukidnon. They are a very good example of people who have emerged successful against all odds similar to others from Luzon and the Visayas who decided to settle in Mindanao, which many years ago and until now is seen as a land of promise given its climate and natural resources.

I only saw Tay Bauy in person once and that was back in 1989 when he was finally able to come home to Cabatuan after so many years. He was still quite strong then though he was accompanied by his son, Manong Junior. My cousin passed away some years ago, ahead of his father who lived to see more of his grandchildren over the years. My only photos of my uncle also perished during Ondoy but fortunately our reconnection with our relatives through my nephew has allowed me to see relatives who could easily have been lost given the divergence of family members. We have a diaspora of sorts that now has spread to the US, Canada, China, Europe, the Middle East as well as various provinces in the Philippines. I do not know exactly now who is where as well as who is who among relatives to a certain degree.

To Tay Bauy, God bless and keep your soul! May you rest in peace in paradise and may your children and other descendants continue to remember you for all your sacrifices and goodness that has allowed them to be where they are now and to live as they live today.

No comments: