Monday, October 1, 2012

Rabbit card for commuting in Bangkok

I was in Thailand for at least once a year during a certain stretch in the last decade as I represented our University to the ASEAN University Network - Southeast Asia Engineering Education Network (AUN-SEEd/Net). Whenever I was in Bangkok, I bought a one-day pass for me to have practically unlimited use of the BTS Skytrain for a day. Those times in the past, there were no IC or stored value cards for use in commuting in the Thai capital. And so I was quite happy to see the availability of a stored value card when I familiarized myself with the Skytrain last week.

The Rabbit card, as it was called, is a stored value card that still has limited use for commuting and other purposes. At present, it can only be used for the BTS Skytrain and a few shops. It cannot be used for buses, taxis or the MRT (Bangkok's subway). There are three variants for the Rabbit card - one for students, one for senior citizens, and another for adults (all other people).

Rabbit card for adults
Back of the card where pertinent info for its use are written in both Thai and English
The Rabbit card is not yet as useful as Singapore's or Japan's version of the stored value card. Still, it is an improvement that will surely and steadily have more uses in the future. And so I look forward to the next trip to Bangkok when perhaps my Rabbit card will be useful for other modes of transport as well.
-

No comments: