Saturday, January 26, 2013

First kaimito of 2013

I have fond memories of my mother bringing home my favorite fruits after her Sunday trips to the market. Among the most anticipated for me are my favorites - star apple (kaimito), sweet sop (atis) and mangoes (mangga), which are typically seasonal fruits. The months from February to June usually had us enjoying (and indulging) in fruits whether we are at our home in Cainta or on vacation in Iloilo. Today, I still look for the same fruits we enjoyed before and when I do find good ones at the supermarket, the market, along the roadside stalls (including informal ones), and on trips, I try to purchase not just for our consumption but for my parents, in-laws and siblings as well.

I chanced upon some enterprising people selling what appears to be the first pickings of kaimito from Old Balara along Katipunan Avenue as I turned from the University yesterday. On impulse, I pulled over behind a vehicle stopped in front of the roadside stall whose driver was also purchasing star apples. As I wasn't sure yet if the fruit was already ripe and good and had no time to get out of the vehicle to inspect the fruits so I just asked for 2 kilograms of what I saw were large pieces of kaimito. I assumed that the vendor was trustworthy and that she wouldn't give me damaged (bugbog) fruit. My trust was rewarded as we enjoyed our first kaimito for the year and I'm sure we'll be enjoying more in the following weeks.

Kaimito or star apple from Old Balara
We'll pass by Katipunan again this weekend to check if there are kaimito we could purchase to bring to my parents' and in-laws' homes. I'm sure they will also enjoy these fruits from the old kaimito trees in Old Balara, which have been preserved by residents there, probably appreciating their potential for income when the fruit is in season.
-

No comments: