Monday, September 3, 2018

Zodiac Olympos automatic vintage watch

An interesting watch in my collection is this automatic from Zodiac. The shape, for one, is unusual for a watch. Typical are the circular, oval and rectangular shapes for most watches. This one's like a shield. The Zodiac Olympos is part of an entire model line for this Swiss watch company.

Trying it on for the first time after the watch was delivered
The watch has an unusual shape. I have square watches, rectangular ones, oysters, UFOs and the usual other circular cases. A friend referred to this as a 'batman' watch.
Side view giving more emphasis to its shape
Another side view showing the crown. This is not the original one for this watch as I've seen one with the Zodiac logo.
Case back showing the watch to be water and shock resistant
This is a gold plated watch - 20 microns
The watch after I removed the leather strap
I got the same nato strap as my other Zodiac watch and replaced the leather strap. I thought this made the watch more casual and wearable.
A quick wrist shot while waiting for the green light
 
The watch is powered by a Zodiac Cal. 72 movement that beats at 21,600 A/h with a power reserve of about 40 hours. I have not timed the watch but it has always survived overnight so I guess this watch still has it in terms of storage.
 
[Note: I unloaded this watch in 2019 through an FB page operated by friends. Hopefully, it was to someone who also collected watches and not to someone just flipping it for profit.]
-

No comments: