Sunday, May 5, 2019

Vintage Duward Aquastar Costeau diver watch

I had been thinking about whether to keep or sell this diver watch. I did some research before I acquired it (again for cheap), and lo and behold, this was a very good brand and model line. It is associated with Jacque Costeau, the famed explorer and conservationist. I used to watch a TV series featuring his exploits, when I was child.

The dial and bezel are in good condition. The watch has day and date features with the days indicated in Spanish.
Side view showing the signed crown consistent with the brand and model
The other side view
The lumes are still good.
Case back with the galleons and the watch specifications (automatic, 200m water resistance, incabloc shock protection, anti-magnetic). The model name is also here: Duward Oceanic 1346.
Inside the case's cover shows this watch to be a compressor. Other details like the serial numbers and patents are also etched here.
The watch runs on an automatic movement the specs of which I still have to determine. It looks like an ETA movement but I need to be sure. The photo is from the seller and I have yet to have the watch serviced. Then, I would probably have the chance to take a closer look at the movement and see if the number is etched on the mechanism. [Note: the movement is supposed to be an AS 1906 running at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 44 hours - updated 8/3/2022]
One reason I think I will keep this watch for a while is its value. I got it for less than 100 USD but the model and others in its line are priced from 400 to more than 1,000 USD. And mine is in better condition than most.
Here's the watch on my wrist after I changed the strap to a nato
 
I think this one's a keeper for now. I have worn it more times than other watches I have. It helps that the lug size is 20mm so I can change the strap every so often.
-

No comments: