Friday, May 17, 2019

Vintage UMF Ruhla from 1958

The old Federal Republic of Germany (West Germany) and German German Democratic Republic (East Germany) produced a lot of high quality watches. Many are from familiar brands like Glashutte and Junghans. But there are others like Anker, Stowa, Ruhla and Kienzle. Many of these are now collectible and maybe won’t hurt your pockets like the Glashutte and Junghans watches. Here is a very good example of those watches - a UMF Ruhla from the 1950s.

Simple dial becomes a little complex due to the hour markers. There are not day or date features on this watch. But the logo indicates this model as pre-1958, when Ruhla changed its logo.
Side view showing the crown
The other side view
Case back stating this to be stainless steel and waterproof (in German)
This is a Ruhla Cal. M2C 29-12 that runs at 18,000 beats per hour and lasts 39h on a full wind.
The watch the first time I tried it on

The watch keeps good time (not fast, not slow) and I've timed it to last an average of about 38 hours on a full wind. I have been using it more regularly than others in my collection the past couple of weeks to make sure it still runs well. 

More on my other German-made watches soon!

[Note: I sold this watch last year. I wanted to keep it but I thought it would be in better hands (wrists?) with a person who would use it regularly.]
-

No comments: