Sunday, June 21, 2020

Why do I collect watches?

My daughter asked me why I had so many watches as she saw me putting away some watches while taking out others. I was in the middle of changing my rotation for the month (yes, just so I get to wear most of the ones I could on a daily basis) when she entered the room. I explained to her about my hobby and somehow got to the part where I related to her how important time was to me and a part of that was keeping the time. The watches reminded me how important that was to me and them being in great condition and keeping the time helps me be on time and manage my schedule. I thought she understood what her father was trying to tell her at her young age. And then she popped the question: are these going to be mine when I grow up? I said yes! And somehow I know she's going to be fine!

Here are among my favorites in my collection, the ones I regard as keepers and perhaps my "first five". Only a couple are in my regular rotation and while the others are usually worn for special occasions, I tend to make sure these occasions are more often so I can enjoy them on my wrist.

Jaeger LeCoultre Futurematic
Mido Ocean Star Caliber 80 diver, which I prefer to use when I'm swimming
Seiko 5626-7040 King Seiko Chronometer - one of my birth month, birth year watches
Glashutte Spezichron diver, a much sought after classic from the former East Germany
And this piece that needs no introduction

If this were a basketball game, the sixth man position will go to this:

Seiko Landmaster AGS - my usual pick when I go out to do fieldwork

There are other watches I have an attachment to including a couple of other Seikos, a Baume and some Swatches. They have a part in my rotation(s) and I keep tabs on them especially the quartz ones as I am usually the one changing their batteries. :)

Happy Father's Day!

-

No comments: