Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Discman and some old CDs

Sentimental on a Sunday...I bought my first Discman back in 1996 so I can play my CDs and listen in private whenever I'm at home or the office. The Discman, of course, is the player Sony developed for its Walkman line that they later renamed to CD Walkman. I think I acquired something like 5 Discman players, two of which was given to a dear friend and 2 to my brother. Three were lost as 1 were stolen from my friend and the other from my brother - both while they were medical interns in the same school.

The first CD I bought in Tokyo was "Cracked Rear View" by Hootie & the Blowfish back in Feb/March 1996. That perished with Ketsana’s flood in 2009. Fortunately, I got another in 2007 that survived because I kept it at my office. Here's the CD with a disc player I recently acquired.

I got this CD Walkman D-EJ002 via Facebook Marketplace where I found a seller of surplus items from Japan. It doesn't have the accessories like the adapter and the remote control earphones but its clean and works well.

I got this CD in 2007 from a used CD shop. I'm not sure if this was from Recofan or Yamagiwa but I did get it in Shibuya. By 2007, I could no longer find my favorite used CD shops in Yokohama.

Instead of streaming my music, I get to play my CD's including this old J-Pop CD that I often listen to that takes me back to the time I was living in Yokohama. This I refer to as 'old school' for someone like me who acquired most of my CDs in the 1990s. I still do have cassettes that I can also play on my old Walkman and a portable stereo player but I'm afraid the tape might get ruined. I usually listed to the FM radio stations whenever I used the Walkman.

All my previous Discman players were bought in Japan and I always bought the ones that were 'Made in Japan' rather than the models that were Made in Malaysia or Made in China. I got this one via an online marketplace. Perhaps I can find an nice one again in Akihabara if there's an opportunity to travel to Japan again soon.

-

No comments: