Friday, April 1, 2022

A vintage Seiko 7017-8000 chronograph

I have a couple of chronographs that have the same model number and yet are quite different in looks and intended function. This article is about the 'regular' one that I got almost the same time as the other more desirable 7017-8000 model.

The watch features only 3 hands including the yellow chronograph hand. There's no sub dial or second hand. The watch also has day and date complications. Days are in English and Kanji (Japanese). Shown is the kanji for Mokuyobi or Thursday.

Side view showing the crown and buttons. I am not sure if the yellow chronograph hand is original as I haven't found photos of pristine ones with the yellow hand. All are either red or red orange so this may be an aftermarket replacement.

The other side view showing a case that is in good condition. Only the dial has evident deterioration but only for the outer portions that would have coincided with the inner bezels of other watches.

Case back showing the model and serial numbers. The serial number indicates this watch to have been made in February 1971.

Inside the watch is a Cal. 7017A that runs at 21,600 A/h with a potential power reserve of 43h.


Close-up of the dial. The numbers on the inner bezel have faded. That includes the dial number that is supposed to be printed at the bottom of the dial.

The obligatory wrist shot

This is one of those keepers for now until perhaps I find a better but legitimate piece. This did not come with a metal bracelet but with a black minimalist leather band. I replaced that with this brown one I had on deck for quick replacements. I thought the brown strap is a good match for the watch though I might juts get a rally strap for this sometime in the future.

-

No comments: